Monday 22 March, 2010

SharePoint 2010 + Virtualization

With SharePoint 2010(64bit) we definately lost one advantage!! i.e setting up a VM for development or for that matter just to play around with the new features on a laptop(32bit)......or did we??

The moment this came to my mind I started to explore the possibility of setting up a 64 bit VM on my laptop and I could find more than one option and here they are. I am sure there are people like me who wish to setup 2010 on their laptop I hope this will help them out.

1.Vitrual Box from Sun
2.Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2  is another good option
3. VMware Workstation is really good if you do not mind spending some money on your VM

of course there are more than 3 options available like the native boot to VHD option available on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Out of the list I particularly liked the Hyper-V as it lets me reserve most of the memory that I have on my laptopn to the VM

No comments: